Chances are that if you are suffering from a liver or gallbladder issue, you have jaundice. If you are worried about your liver health, then you should visit the best liver hospital in Ludhiana. The best liver doctors in Punjab will make sure that you get the best treatment plan.
What is jaundice?
Jaundice is a condition in which the white part of the eye and mucous membrane will turn yellow. The problem happens due to an increase in bilirubin.
SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
What are the symptoms of jaundice?
The infection caused by it is due to the following factors:
- Flu-like symptoms
- Change in skin color
- Abdominal pain
- Dark-colored urine or clay-colored stool
In case, infection is not the reason then it can result in symptoms like itchy skin or weight loss. If the problem is caused by biliary tract infection or pancreatic then it will result in abdominal pain. In some cases, the jaundice is due to a liver problem which is because of:
- Acute hepatitis A, B, or C.
- Chronic hepatitis or liver inflammation.
- Polyarthralgias (joints inflammation)
- Pyoderma gangrenosum (skin disease)
What causes jaundice?
- Reabsorption of a large hematoma
- Hemolytic anemias (blood cells are destroyed and removed before the normal lifespan).
- Rare genetic metabolic defects.
- Autoimmune disorders.
- Viruses, including chronic Hepatitis B, Hepatitis A, and C, and Epstein-Barr virus infection.
- Medicines, including acetaminophen toxicity, penicillins, oral contraceptives, chlorpromazine, and estrogenic or anabolic steroids.
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTS
How is jaundice diagnosed?
Doctors will check the condition by looking at the liver disease signs which are mentioned below:
- Skin bruising
- Spider angiomas – The skin blood vessels are not normal
- Palmar erythema – This is characterized by the red coloration of the fingertips and palms
The doctor will do urine testing and in medical terms, it is known as Urinalysis. The results of this test are checked through serum testing. This test includes the CBC (Complete Blood count) and bilirubin levels. Also, the liver tenderness and size are checked. The doctor will use the imaging test which includes CT scanning, and ultrasonography along with a biopsy.
How is jaundice treated?
Adult jaundice is not that severe as compared to the problem in infants. For infants, treatment is needed right away. The reason and complications of this problem are not treatable. In case the itching is worse then the doctor will suggest you use cholestyramine.
What are some of the complications of the treatments?
- Upset stomach.
- Stomach pain.
Although it is difficult to set specific prevention methods. Some of the basic tips which can help with this situation are:
- Avoid hepatitis infection.
- Stable weight is important.
- Drink alcohol in a limited amount.
- Manage your cholesterol.