What is a Liver Transplant?
A surgery done to replace a diseased liver with the healthy one from a donor is known as Liver Transplant. A person either gets the whole liver transplantation or a part of it can be done. A healthy liver is taken from a person who just died or even from a healthy living person who can donate a part of their liver.
A living donor can be a family member or someone whose blood type is the same as the patients. The Organ donor who has given a part of their liver can also live a healthy life.
What is the need of getting a liver transplant?
The Liver is one of the most important organs of the body and if it stops working properly, you might need a transplant. Any end-stage chronic liver disease can be life-threatening. The most common cause of the end-stage liver disease is Cirrhosis. When healthy liver tissue is replaced with scar tissue, Cirrhosis takes place.
What issues can cause end-stage liver disease?
Some other diseases that might lead to end-stage liver diseases include:
Acute Hepatic Necrosis
When the tissue in the liver dies, this occurs. The most common causes of this are acute infections, reactions to drugs, or medicines.
The rarest disease of liver and bile ducts. It occurs mostly in newborn babies.
The most common hepatitis that occurs is hepatitis B and C.
The disorders that help in changing the chemical activity in cells that are affected by the liver.
Primary Liver Cancers
There are cancerous tumors that start in the liver.
When the body’s immune system attacks the liver, redness or swelling of the liver takes place leading to this.
What happens during a Liver transplant?
- If you are facing any serious liver disease, you will be notified if the deceased donor is available. You will be asked to visit the hospital immediately.
- The health care team will notify and admit you to the hospital. You will have to undergo an examination to check whether you are healthy enough for the surgery.
- During this procedure the patient will be given general anesthesia.
- A long incision is done across your abdomen to access your liver.
- The incision may be different for everyone according to your anatomy or the approach of your surgeon.
- Now the surgeon removes the diseased liver and places the donor liver in the body. The time duration of your surgery may vary according to your surgery.
- Once the new liver is inserted, the surgeon will use stitches and staples to close the surgical incision.
- Now you are taken to the intensive care unit (ICU) to begin the recovery.
What happens after the liver transplant?
After the liver transplant, you must keep these few things in mind:
- Stay inside ICU for a few days. This helps in checking the condition of the patient timely.
- It is advised to spend at least a week in the hospital.
- Even after going home, get yourself checked frequently.
- You have to take medications for a longer period of your life.
Where can I get a liver transplant?
You can get a liver transplant in Ludhiana by one of the best surgeons Dr. Girn. He holds his expertise in the field and is known as the best liver transplant doctor in India.
What will be its cost?
The liver transplant cost may vary from patient to patient according to their condition. You can refer to the best liver transplant surgeon. So, what are you waiting for?